Dear Supervisory and Managerial State Scientists,
CalHR has officially released the State’s plans for so-called “excluded” employees (those excluded from the Ralph C. Dills Act which governs collective bargaining) with regard to the employee compensation reductions required by the State Budget as a result of the Pandemic Recession.
Supervisory and Managerial State Scientists will be subject to the following, effective July 1, 2020:
- Personal Leave Program (PLP) 2020 – Supervisory State Scientists will accrue two days of Personal Leave Credit per month in exchange for a 9.23% salary reduction (equivalent to two days’ pay);
- PLP 2020 leave shall be administered in the same manner as other leave, with priority given to elimination of PLP 2020 leave accumulation.
- PLP 2020 leave shall not be cashed out except upon separation from state service.
- Employee Other Post-Employment Benefits (OPEB) contributions, or the prefunding of retiree healthcare, will be suspended for the 2020-21 Fiscal Year. This contribution appears on your pay warrant as “CERBT.”
- This will return 2.8% to employee paychecks.
- Vacation/Annual Leave cap expansion. State Scientist Supervisors will be eligible to accrue Vacation/Annual Leave in excess of the 640 hour cap at a rate of 16 additional hours each month for the duration of the PLP 2020 program.
- Able to Opt-Out of Voluntary Personal Leave Program (VPLP) any time. Excluded employees are able to opt-out of VPLP at any point during the 2020-21 Fiscal Year.
- No General Salary Increases (GSIs). No excluded employees in any unit will receive a GSI in the 2020-21 Fiscal Year.
You can read CalHR’s full notice here.
CAPS Supervisor’s Committee will continue to request Meet-and-Confers with the Administration whenever increased State income is identified and to discuss non-compensation-related benefit increases for the future.
CHOOSE UNITY. CHOOSE STRENGTH. CHOOSE CAPS!