CAPS awards four Professional Development Grants of $400 each quarter to qualifying CAPS members. Recipients are chosen in January, April, July, and October. Applications should be submitted before these months to be eligible for the upcoming selection. These grants provide support for scientific research and professional development not fully funded by the state.
As you prepare your submission, keep in mind that the CAPS Member Benefits Committee evaluates Professional Development Grant applications according to the following criteria:
- Quality of the grant application, including explanation of the purpose of the event or project and documentation of costs.
- Relevance or impact on the State Scientist’s career or current position.
- Degree the grant will accomplish the applicant’s stated purpose.
- Diversity of state departments and agencies, to the degree possible.
There are a few simple rules:
- All CAPS members are eligible except CAPS Officers and Directors.
- Travel to professional meetings, outside research projects, publication of scientific works, or purchase of research equipment and supplies are examples of valid funding requests. Final decisions on awarding grants will be the responsibility of the CAPS Member Benefits Committee.
- For a grant to attend a professional meeting or conference, include the meeting or conference location and document the estimated expenses incurred to attend (registration, travel, lodging, etc.). Attach a copy of the event announcement (if available) or a copy of literature announcing the event.
- For grants to cover page charges for publication of a research paper in a scientific journal, include the title(s) of the paper(s) and the name(s) of the journals and documentation of the cost.
- Funds must be used for the purpose intended and must be used within six months of the date of application. You may request retroactive reimbursement for an event you have already attended.
- Applications not funded during a quarter are eligible for funding during the subsequent quarter without the need for reapplication.
- Grants must be returned to CAPS promptly if not used for the intended purpose.
- Members may receive only one grant every two calendar years.
Download the CAPS Professional Development Grant Application. Mail, email scan, or fax to: