May 8, 2019

Vacation/Annual Leave Cash Out. CalHR has authorized Departments to analyze whether they have the funding to participate in the Vacation/Annual Leave Cash Out Program for the 2018-2019 Fiscal Year. CalHR Manual Section 2104 allows eligible employees in participating departments to submit a written request during the month of May in order to receive payment at their regular salary rate in exchange for up to 80 unused leave hours.  Eligible leave may be a combination of vacation or annual leave, personal leave (personal leave 1992, 2003, 2010/11/12 and voluntary personal leave), personal holiday, or holiday credit.  Payment for all leave hours are made using existing departmental appropriations. Therefore, each department’s participation is subject to the availability of departmental funds. The following Departments have so far reported their participation at up to 80 hours: State Water Resources Control Board, California Department of Conservation, Department of General Services, Office of the State Architect, Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment, CalRecycle, the Air Resources Board, the Department of Pesticide Regulation, and the Department of Water Resources. Other Departments have indicated their participation at up to 40 hours: CalTrans. Some Departments have indicated that they will not be participating at all this year, so far those include: the California Department of Public Health, the California Department of Fish and Wildlife, the Department of Toxic Substances Control, and the DMV. For future updates on which Departments are participating in the Vacation/Annual Leave Cash Out, visit the CAPS website.

Wildlife Scientist Needs Your Help.  Rebecca Barboza, a CAPS member at the Department of Fish and Wildlife, is in need of catastrophic leave donations. The following leave credits may be donated as catastrophic leave: CTO, Personal Leave, Annual Leave, Vacation, Personal Day, and/or Holiday Credit. If donating Personal Holidays, they must be donated in whole day increments per the donating employee’s time base. All other donations must be made in a minimum of one hour (1.00) increments and sick leave cannot be donated.  If you wish to donate any of your leave credits, other than sick leave, please click here.  Ms. Barboza and CAPS thanks you in advance for your support!

News Briefs

Fate of baby bear in viral video rests on California wildlife expertsReno Gazette Journal
The fate of a baby bear shown on video approaching a snowboarder at a ski resort earlier this month rests with veterinarians with the California Department of Fish and Wildlife, who are still observing the bear at a lab in Rancho Cordova, just outside Sacramento.

CDPH Urges Californians Traveling Internationally to be Fully Vaccinated against Measles – Santa Barbara Independent
The California Department of Public Health today urged Californians to make sure they are vaccinated against measles, especially anyone who plans to travel internationally.

In Review. Check out what you may have missed from past CAPS Updates here:

January 30, 2019. So, if not in the MOU, where are my rights? Supervisory and managerial scientists should refer to the CalHR Online HR Manual to find their enumerated rights. And, reach out to CAPS () if they have any questions.